Funky wart/tumor/hard area on turkey's wattles

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by phoenixmama, Jul 17, 2010.

1. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    So, DH and I were out checking on the turkeys and filling up feeders...noticed one of the BRs with some weird spot on it's wattles. I fished him out of his pen, and we tried getting a closer look. From far away it almost looked like a small abscess with a scab in the middle. Upon further inspection, the area was really hard...we dug out the "scab" part, expecting to see junk come out. Nothing came out, it looked more like a wart on the inside. It didn't bleed at all though. I expected bleeding if it was some wart or a tumor type of thing.

DH is wondering if it could have been a bite from a brown recluse, since their bites cause tissue death leaving a wound that takes a long time to heal. I don't know...we are just worried it isn't something dangerous and/or infectious that could spread to the rest of the turkeys. Also, I noticed another similar looking area on his wattles, just smaller than the first one.

Any ideas?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Sounds like it may be fowl pox. It's transmitted by mosquitoes and will usually run its course without any ill effects. Just keep an eye on him for any other symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by