Funky, weird egg from Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RaMaKosmom, Oct 18, 2017.

1. RaMaKosmom

RaMaKosmom Just Hatched

Feb 11, 2017
    Vancouver Washington
    So, we've only had chickens for about a 1.5 years & it's all come pretty easy to us... Until now!
    One of my Rhode Island Reds layed an egg that has a bright "red" section on the top & the top only. It's quite rough in comparison to the rest of the surface of the egg.
    Any ideas as to why this happened or what we can do to make them go back to "normal"? Tia!

Attached Files:

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens occasionally lay odd eggs, If she continues to lay eggs like that then there’s probably a problem

3. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Brown layers deposit a heme (blood derived) tint on the egg shell. My brown layers have occasionally laid uneven colored eggs too. As the hen ages this can be caused by stress, environment, or nutritional needs. Try supplementing the hen with a good vitamin product. Many keepers use Nutridrench; I do too for a quick oral boost. But, I also really like Vionate which is sprinkled on the feed. It can be used for a couple of months when stress levels are high such as hot weather, predator presence, or the addition of new hens or rooster. Even if you do nothing, the coloring may correct eventually anyways. If it is nutritional, it could be an indicator of impending illness. So do keep an eye on that hen.
    God Bless to you and your little hen. :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be a one off glitch...funky eggs can be common this time of year as hens ramp down production to molt.

I would do nothing but observe, unless it happens constantly.....
    .....then try to ascertain the cause and possible remedy.

Ol Grey Mare likes this.
  5. RaMaKosmom

RaMaKosmom Just Hatched

Feb 11, 2017
    Vancouver Washington
    Thanks everyone. That's kinda what I thought but was also curious if it was a nutritional issue. I'll watch for a while & then we'll go from there!

6. Silkiesarefluffydinos

Silkiesarefluffydinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2017
    North Carolina
    Wow!!i'be never seen that beforw!! That's really cool! We have a credit and she, nor any of our others, have don't that before!

7. Silkiesarefluffydinos

Silkiesarefluffydinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2017
    North Carolina
    *RiR

8. Farmgirl47

Farmgirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2015
    God's Green Earth
    I once had an egg that (split evenly down the middle) was half cream in color, and the other half was a different shade of light brown. :lau

hlhutchinson likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by