Funky, weird egg from Rhode Island Red

RaMaKosmom

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2017
Vancouver Washington
So, we've only had chickens for about a 1.5 years & it's all come pretty easy to us... Until now!
One of my Rhode Island Reds layed an egg that has a bright "red" section on the top & the top only. It's quite rough in comparison to the rest of the surface of the egg.
Any ideas as to why this happened or what we can do to make them go back to "normal"? Tia!

Attachments

• 20171018_181312.jpg
    20171018_181312.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 21
Brown layers deposit a heme (blood derived) tint on the egg shell. My brown layers have occasionally laid uneven colored eggs too. As the hen ages this can be caused by stress, environment, or nutritional needs. Try supplementing the hen with a good vitamin product. Many keepers use Nutridrench; I do too for a quick oral boost. But, I also really like Vionate which is sprinkled on the feed. It can be used for a couple of months when stress levels are high such as hot weather, predator presence, or the addition of new hens or rooster. Even if you do nothing, the coloring may correct eventually anyways. If it is nutritional, it could be an indicator of impending illness. So do keep an eye on that hen.
God Bless to you and your little hen. :)

Could be a one off glitch...funky eggs can be common this time of year as hens ramp down production to molt.

I would do nothing but observe, unless it happens constantly.....
.....then try to ascertain the cause and possible remedy.

Back
Top Bottom