Funky wing issue...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WallTenters, Jun 8, 2011.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I'm posting this here because it's more of a genetic issue, I think, though it could be environmental if anyone can give some input?

Just looking for answers on this one...

This is a purchased Dominique pullet, hatched April 18th.

Not sure if photos will help, it's hard to see, but very noticeable when you feel her. Instead of going out normally, her wing bends down at the elbow drastically, so it's almost pointed straight at the ground. Her right wing is severe, her left wing is the same way but much less so.

I noticed it when I picked her up today and pulled her wing out to check her feathers. We thought that wing was broken but then noticed the other is the same way, but not as severe.

When she has her wings folded against her body, the wings are not held evenly and just look kind of funky. She was in a group of over fifty chicks, so since it hasn't been affecting her movement at all, we never noticed it before...

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before? I can post pictures if my written description isn't enough to explain, but the photos are hard to tell, the bars make seeing the wing outline kind of hard [​IMG]

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I bought a mixed chick with a similar problem. I was told that it was a dislocated wing and it was most likely genetic. It was never fixed and he ended up in the freezer.

3. buffalogal

buffalogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Quote:Someone told you the wing was dislocated because it's not formed properly?
    When you dressed out the bird, did you take apart the joint to see what the problem was?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by