Funniest thing with one of my CX hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Nov 6, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    For nestboxes I buy the largest covered kitty pans I can find. They work fine for my brahmas, so I'm using them in my baby coop too. I have one, will be buying more this week.

In my juvenile's flock temporary home I was finding eggs everywhere but in the nestbox. Couldn't figure it out.

Now the juvies have moved to their permanent coop. That coop includes a small wire dog crate that I intended to use as an isolation and/or broody cage. I even put some hay in it on top of the shavings in case my silkies wanted to sleep in there last night.

Go to check on the babies this morning and one of the CXs is in the crate, clucking happily and re-arranging the hay all around her into a nice nest. She's been sitting there for two hours now. Apparently even the large kitty litter pans aren't big enough for CXs.

Anyone know where I can find the world's largest kitty litter pans for my CXs? [​IMG]

2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Our local feed store has been able to order jumbo litter boxes for my house rabbits. Those boxes are deep enough to keep hay and wood stove pellets from flying out when the rabbits hop in or out. The canine version of a litter box has worked very well for our special needs rabbit, those boxes are 24''x18''. I believe the brand is called 'Second Nature'. So sweet reading about your cornish x's!

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Very sweet! It's always nice to hear about CX chickens having a nice chicken-y life.

You know, you could just let her have the dog crate and get another for your isolation area...maybe that would be easiest since she already likes it.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Looks like I'll be buying another dog crate, or one of those canine litter boxes that you mentioned peep. The CX is in her crate, except to eat and drink and she chases out anybody that tries to share it with her; except for my one silkie. That silkie and the CX have been friends since their days in the brooder. I have some very strange animals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by