Funny baby quail video

Discussion in 'Quail' started by USAmma, Oct 21, 2013.

1. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    They are just so entertaining! :) 11 days old here. Notice the one that gets stuck between the cage paper and the wall temporarily, kicking its feet up. And then one of them hopped out and I didn't notice until I had finished with the video. It is seen hopping up at the back of the container, trying to get back in.

And one question: There is one louder one peeping different than the normal peeps. I have been hearing that from about day 3 or 4. Is that one trying to crow? Or maybe it's the one that is outside the container being really upset? Or just a different type of call?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    My buttons do that. I guess first in, first served. Great video.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    what are you feeding them? and are these still with heat? As for the voice it sounds like a distress call and yes they have lots of different calls. I had a 3 day old chick get out between the bars of the cage (actually parent incubated and raised) and you should have hear her yelling! Mom and dad were yelling right back to her too. So funny! But then again if it were one of my kids I would yell too!
    Cute birds and enjoy them, they grow too fast. Sooner then you think they will be adult and ready to pair up.

4. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I am feeding them 1/2 a hard boiled chicken egg. They do the same thing with dried mealworms, but they shake them around and try to "kill" them before eating them.

That distress call must have been the one that got out of the cage, or the one that was stuck upside down for awhile. From what I hear you have rare quail that raised their own babies! :) Must be doing something right.

I have them on a reptile heating pad over 1/3 of the cage. I don't have a heat lamp. Also our house is warm (79-80 degrees right now) so I didn't want to overheat them. They have a choice to lie on the warm part of the container or get off of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by