Funny behavior....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick named Lola, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    So I have this hen that whenever she lays an egg...she come out of the coop and picks up hay or grass and throws it onto her back. She does this every single time she lays, just for a minute or say after. So funny! What is that??

2. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Maybe she's trying to cover her tracks. Don't you wish you could read their minds some times? [​IMG] Well, maybe not always...

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    She is probably trying to dust bathe without the dust.[​IMG]

4. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I have read of them doing that while getting ready to lay--perhaps as an instinct to try to camouflage themselves so they are protected from predators while laying. I don't know about doing that AFTER they are done laying. Funny chicken![​IMG]

5. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    That's so funny! I have a girl that does the same thing, but only when she's in the nest box, pre-egg. Who knows! Chickens are truly strange creatures.

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Too funny

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have a BO pullet that will cover herself in straw and hide from me when I collect eggs. Poor girl, all she wants to do is go broody. She'll have to wait though.[​IMG]

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:My BO did that last fall! She finally gave up going broody in Dec.

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Now she hides under the bedding under the nest box. They are dog houses on cinder blocks and one day I fond her under the edge of a nest box sitting on her 2 little eggs.[​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Two of mine have done that periodically, after leaving the nest box and coop. One sings The Egg Song, one does not. They both adorn themselves with bits of grass, throwing them over their shoulders and traipsing around all prettied up. They be Fancy Ladies, indeed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by