Funny behaviour

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BrownEyedGal, Nov 7, 2013.

1. BrownEyedGal

BrownEyedGal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Hi! So we've got two female ducks (khaki Campbell and white Campbell) about 8 or 9 months old we think. Both laying. Both seem happy. However the khaki has been seen to nibble at the white and pull feathers. Daphne (white) doesn't seem to bothered. And they get on well the rest of the time.

Now Deefer (khaki) has started standing on Daphne in their water tray nibbles her neck and tries to push her head in the water. Again Daphne doesn't seem bothered. Now my question is: do you think it's some kind of mating behaviour? Play? Dominance? Should we be intervening?

[​IMG]

2. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    [​IMG]
    Also this isn't their only access to water they have a few pools of different sizes. :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hah, yeah that's your KC trying to be a boy. She's got the behavior down pretty well, too, by the sound of it. Boys will bite the back of neck and push their heads under water while they're on top. This is fine as long as noone gets drowned.

I have a drake in the flock and the girls still do this sometimes.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2, silly girls.

5. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Thanks guys haha we thought as much, silly girls! It's quite funny to watch tho!

I do worry about her pushing her head under but Daphne is bigger than Deefer so I think she could waddle off if she wanted! :)

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think you have a thing to worry about, although when I first saw my drake pushing the ducks head under I thought for sure she was a gonner, then seeing my ducks doing it to each other I didn't worry so much. Those girls can be pretty nutty can't they. [​IMG]

7. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Yeh it's reassuring to know its quite common really, even in girls! Funny ducks!

Thanks again! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by