Funny chicken experience

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by suburbanredneck, Aug 29, 2013.

1. suburbanredneck

suburbanredneck Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    I joined in Spring when we first got our chicks. We bought 12 white pullets, 12 red pullets and they had a third kind of unnamed chick so I said "throw 2 of those in as well". Well, the 2 oddballs were the only ones we could easily identify so the kids named them McDonalds and McNugget. They ended up being the most friendly and social of them all. A few months back, the 2 oddballs started to roost in a pine tree at night. Then some others joined them. It took only 3 nights of spraying them with a water hose at night to chase them out of the trees, into the coop and to break that cycle. Well, 2 months back, McNugget disappeared. We figured she was gone for good. 2 weeks later we see her outside the coop in the morning before we let the girls out. We were all very happy. She ate and then poof she was gone again. Now its going on a full month without her, and wouldn't you know it, this morning she was outside the coop again. She looked thin. I kept the others in the coop and fed her food and water. She devoured it. Once again, poof, gone. Later that day, our 6 year old run to me screaming "We found McNugget!" and he leads me over to a bush at one corner of our house and he crawls under it. Behind the bush is a sunken basement window with that galvanized half-round thing around it. I look down in there and see McNugget surrounded by what ended up being 26 eggs. She was only 3 1/2 months old an she must have gotten broody and only left her stash of eggs when she was starving. Tonight I waited til dark, grabbed her and put her in the coop with the other girls. Hopefully when she lays tomorrow she will end up staying in the coop rather than unprotected outside.

Has anyone had any experiences like this?

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Never overnight - but I know others have. To bad you don't have a rooster of age, you could have baby chicks. ;)

3. suburbanredneck

May 9, 2013
    We had a rooster. He was mean and attacked my children. He soon died of acute lead poisoning.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] and thank you for sharing that story. I love happy endings.

5. suburbanredneck

May 9, 2013
    I guess we broke her broodiness. She has been with the flock and gone into the coop every night. Good to have her back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by