Funny Chicken Happenings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, May 29, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, I want to hear your funniest chicken story ok, funniest might be hard to chose but take a shot.

Here's Mine:

My husband was left to collect eggs one day. He comes to me and says, "There's a funny egg in one of the nesting boxes, it looks like an abortion. I'm not going to touch it!"

Being the tough person I am, I march in there to handle the problem and see what could possibly be wrong with my girls...

I open the nesting box carefully, prepared for the worst, and what do I find? POOP! He got all worked up over POOP! Good Grief! [​IMG]

2. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    This is going to be tough to top!!! [​IMG]

I don't have any funny chicken stories but do have a couple about Bluejays and Squirrels.

I used to throw some peanuts in the shell for the birds and squirrels. One day a Bluejay came along and picked up one of the nuts...then a second nut. By this time his beak was jammed full and wide open at the end. He came upon a third peanut and tried over and over to pick it up but he couldn't close his beak over it. Eventually he gave up.

On another day, I watched a squirrell happily collect peanuts and scamper across the yard, burying them along the way. Right behind him went another squirrel digging them up and eating them! I just laughed and lauged both times.

3. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    A one week old Barred Rock (gender as yet to be determined) chasing THREE dogs AND the cat off my bed. Then proceeding to roost on DH and poop on him LOL I was in tears I was laughing so hard!

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    A friend brought her 3 small children from the city over to visit. I was showing them the animals. One little girl asked where the eggs come from so I picked up a hen, lifted her tail back, pointed at her vent and said ,'Eggs come from this hole'. With perfect timeing an egg came out and dropped on the shavings! The childern all said ehoooo, yuck!! It was a very long time before they would eat another egg.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    In my main chicken run, I have a large coop and a small coop for babies that I want to introduce to the big girls. They have a small run that is topped with chicken wire so everyone can socialize but nobody gets hurt. Well I have two 10 week old buff Orp roosters that jump up on the roof of the small coop then gently walk along the top of the chicken wire top. From my kitchen window when I watch them, I can't see the chicken wire under them and they look like they are walking on air. They have now learned that if they start to bounce on the chicken wire they can get a great leap up to grab at the debris in the bird netting above their heads...so my magical mid air boys are using it like a trampoline. It looks really funny. They are little stinkers and always pushing everyones buttons. I wish they could stay this age forever, they are great buddies now but in a few months I don't think they will be and I'll have to re home them.

6. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:This is about cows:

When I was a junior in high school, a good friend of mine bought a carton of milk from the cafeteria. As she was drinking it, she wondered where milk from. I said "from cows". She looked at me in horror and asked "but where does chocolate milk come from?" I told her that they put chocolate syrup in the milk, that came from cows.

She threw the carton into the trash and swore she would never drink milk again.

7. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    One day I was out feeding the chickens and there was a box a little bigger than a shoebox lying on the ground upside down. I didn't think much of it, it must have just fallen off the thing I set it on. then my foot brushed against it and it was heavy. I picked it up and out ran a black sexlink hen! It was just barely big enough for her to fit into. I named her wonder woman because I wondered how the heck she had done that to herself. she probably just fell asleep in there after it fell on her and she must not have really tried to get out. if she had fully stood up it would have lifted up off the ground.

8. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    This is old story but I still laugh at my cousin for this.

Our granny had some EE's , I spent time with her and the chickens all of the time however my city cousin wasn't allowed to get dirty so never went near the chickens. One Easter while we were getting our Easter eggs ready my cousin noticed the blue eggs, granny told her the chickens had layed them for Easter, her response "how did they know it was Easter". I know I probably shouldn't continue to laugh, she didn't know any better, but hey it's still as funny for me today as it was back then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by