Funny, Curious Barred Rocks...Today's Excitement

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Jul 31, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I heard one of my younger Barred Rock ladies doing that nervous clucking and went to see what was wrong. She had just seen a pretty good sized turtle walking through the yard near the house. He was about to to under some equipment so I put him out in the middle of the yard to continue his little journey. By the time I got back up on the deck, I had six of my eight BRs in the main flock following that turtle in formation, along with the Blue Ameraucana, Charlotte. The Lt. Brahma lady saw it and followed along briefly but lost interest. My Blue Orp/Buff Brahma cross, Glenda, also followed a bit, then decided it was boring. They followed that turtle toward the woods, with him not really caring about them or seemingly afraid of them. I have no idea how long they followed that poor visitor, but I thought that out of my current laying flock of about 24 girls, almost every one that showed real interest was a Barred Rock.

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    How fun!!

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What a cute story. Don't you just love barred rocks? I am so entertained by them.

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Too funny, that would have made a great picture!

5. speckledhen

I wish my video camera had a battery! That would have been really funny to see on youtube.

6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Cute story. I'm finding chickens to be very interesting animals. I'm a first-time chicken owner --mine are 4 mos old now -- love their personalities.

7. speckledhen

I just love my Barred Rock girls; they always make me smile.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Ours makes us give her food. She's a massive pig.

9. speckledhen

Haha, mine are always up on my deck looking for food. My real pig is my Speckled Sussex, Nelda. She's a roly-poly eating machine, that girl.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] Cute story! Those barred rocks are a crack up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by