1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny - different chickens, different bedtimes? LOL!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by caralouise1974, Apr 8, 2009.

1. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a bit bemused and amused by my two hens. [​IMG]

The BO has always gone to bed much earlier than the hybrid, who continues to strut around and pick at the food and water well into dusk. Bless our lovely gentle BO, she simply gives up at the first sign of sundown and takes herself off to bed.

Is this normal? I don't remember the hens my father kept when I was a child taking themselves off to bed at wildly different times - they all seemed to make a consensus decision about when bedtime should be!

It's 7.40pm here in the UK, and earlier, after some free range time, I put the girls into their run at 7pm. The BO had a quick drink, then headed for bed, whilst the hybrid is still popping in and out, desperate not to miss anything. It's very funny that they have such quirky little habits. [​IMG]

Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Just curious really...

2. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    I have 3 out of 18 that go to bed a good hour before everyone else.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    My OEGBantams are always on the roost at least 30 min before my sebrights

4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is too funny!!

5. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have 2 roosters with 12 hens.

The bantam RIR rooster seems to have the night shift. He rounds up all of the hens when it is time to go to bed. He will not get on the roost until every girl is in her place, whether they are ready for bed or not.

My standard RIR roo goes to bed earlier than all of the other chickens. But then again, he is the first one up and crowing in the mornings. He has the day shift.

Their behavior is quite interesting and funny to watch.

6. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Mine go to bed at different times. The SLW is always first, then the 2 mutts, then the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. In our case it goes by age: first the oldest, then the 2 middle ones, then the youngest.

7. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is all really enlightening - thanks! I had thought our BO was a bit weird, going off to bed while it is still light. She was very poorly a while back, and was always keen to slope off to bed, but I thought she would stay up later now she's fit and healthy again.

Chickens are just like little people with feathers aren't they? They just have so many nuances and little character traits that make every one of them so special! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by