Funny egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick chicks, Mar 17, 2013.

1. chick chicks

chick chicks Chirping

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    [​IMG] My chicken has been laying eggs with a funny white splash looking thing on one end.... And idea what it might be?

2. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Is that a marans egg? If so, the color goes on as the egg is coming out and hers may not be working smoothly.

3. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chirping

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    It looks to me like her cartridge is running low on ink!

4. chick chicks

chick chicks Chirping

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Lol I'm actually not sure, I don't know which chicken is laying which egg, we have 4 hens and they all lay in the same box, have never been able to figure out who's is who's. What does a Maran look like? I might be able to tell if I have one in the flock and then would know who's it is :p

5. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    They normally lay a dark brown egg. Have you been getting a dark brown egg usually? You can see my Cuckoo Marans in my signature. There are other kinds of marans as well.

6. chick chicks

chick chicks Chirping

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Yes I ALWAYS get one dark brown one, a slightly lighter one, a beige, and a blue egg pretty much everyday, the darkest brown has consistently had that white splotch for the past 2-3 weeks. So lets say I do have a Maran. If her "cartridge" is running low on "ink" so to speak :p Is this unhealthy? And is there a way to fix it, through diet or otherwise? It doesn't hurt or harm the chicken in any way does it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by