Funny egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jackson5610, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Jackson5610

Jackson5610 Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    So today my chicken laid an egg that was like a water balloon, no shell. I have several different breeds and I am not sure which one did it but any clue why or how to keep it from happening again?

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Every once in a while, a chicken will lay an egg with no shell. If it does not happen often, it should be no cause to worry. If it does happen often, there may be a nutrient deficiency of some sort.

3. EggyJoe

EggyJoe New Egg

Dec 26, 2016
    Southwestern Ontario
    I've only had one like that, and it was soon after the girls started laying. Are your birds young?

4. Jackson5610

Jackson5610 Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    Thank you all for the replies. I have 2 that would be coming into laying and they are Silver Laced Wyandottes but the egg seemed kind of big for them, or in my opinion. This is the first time it's ever happened. My other 12 have been laying since August

5. EggyJoe

EggyJoe New Egg

Dec 26, 2016
    Southwestern Ontario
    From what I've read, as long as you're feeding layer feed, there's nothing to worry about. As long as they aren't feeding too heavily on table scraps, there's plenty of calcium in the diet. Plenty of corn and scraps are fine in winter when they're not laying, but the calcium from layer feed is really needed.

6. Jackson5610

Jackson5610 Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    They are being fed layer food only, I put out some oyster shells for them to ensure they have enough calcium so it took me by surprise when I found the egg lol

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I think it was one of the young birds......She probably released the egg before the process was over and you got the soft shelled egg....She also might not be consuming Oyster shell yet?.....She will eat them once she gets going........

Young Birds lay weird eggs.......

Cheers!

8. IowaChicks

IowaChicks Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Thank you for this question. We have hens that are not quite a year old and one of them has laid 3 or 4 of these "water balloon" eggs (that is eggsactly how I described them too!). We have tried giving them crushed oyster shells and they are not interested. We're considering giving some yogurt and broccoli (both which they love) to give a little more calcium boost, but maybe lay off other treats for a while. All other girls seem to be laying fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by