1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goatygoats, Oct 7, 2010.

1. goatygoats

goatygoats New Egg

Oct 7, 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on this list. My dh, dd & I have a small goat & chicken farm in the midwest. We have several breeds, with Americauna being my favorite at the moment. We raised Buff Orps this year for meat birds.

I have a question about a problem with a few of our eggs lately. The shells aren't broken, the eggs are at most 3 days old, and when cracked open, the contents are already scrambled - the yolk has ruptured and mixed with the albumen. I'm having a hard time finding out why this is. The one guess that I have is since some of our hens are getting pretty old (4-5 years old), the yolk membrane is weak. Also, they lay in on top of our hay bales in the barn (tall hay pile) and sometimes I find some on the ground next to the hay bales - I imagine they've fallen out of the nest. No cracks in the shell - there's hay on landing site. Perhaps the weak membrane ruptures in the fall? I haven't experimented to see if it's possible yet, thought I'd ask before wasting eggs. I'm worried that somehow it's bacterial. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.

Falling eggs no doubt.

Usually caused by employees of the USPS.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:There is a webpage about egg quality.... let me look for it.

4. goatygoats

goatygoats New Egg

Oct 7, 2010
    Thanks for the links. I'd already been to those pages, but didn't see anything similar to our problem. Thanks for looking them up for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by