Funny Family Dishes?

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
Does your family have a recipe that has a funny name? Maybe your family made up the recipe?

DH makes "Bachelor Gorp" and "Boiled Dinner" for the men camping out when it's kinda chilly.

Bachelor Gorp

Fry up 1 pound of cheap hamburger and 1 chopped up onion. Add a couple tablespoons ketchup or whatever...
Throw in a large can of Pork-n-Beans, and eat up!

Boiled Dinner

dinner sausage of some kind
cabbage
onions
potatoes
Chop up, throw into a pot and boil until ready.

We have one . It's corned beef and cream of celery soup and cheese served over egg noodles. The kids called it dog food, because it looked like dog food ( well it looked like dog barf, but we couldnt call it that)

One day, we were at the grocery store, and my daughter asked " Mom, can we have dog food for dinner tonight?"
I said yes, she cheered, and then I realized all the people staring at us..

LOL

That's great.

We eat Asian food at home...so it's probably all funny.

Other than that is "Bug juice" Which is just black berry juice. Got it's name because my mom freaked out when a bug was doing back strokes in her cup of juice. LOL

Our family doesn't have any names for our funny foods, but we have some funny things that we:>) Kraft dinner ALWAYS gets mixed with a can of peas...and pancakes are always topped with very thick piles of peanut butter and jam.

Well, we don't have funny names for it - but the food can get downright strange that my family has eaten:
Grated carrots with a dollop of mayo on top
Cottage cheese with sugar sprinkled on the top
Cottage cheese with salt and pepper

and

last but not least my dad and my maternal grandma shared....

Brains and Eggs!
sickbyc.gif

My mother made 'Junk' a lot when I was a kid. It's browned hamburger meat added to elbow noodles with spaghetti sauce and a packet of mac n cheese powder. My kids like it.

Oh, that reminds me of a dish my mom made - it was called "Gunk".

Now that I'm all grow'd up, I know that it was Beef Curry over Rice. sheesh.
tongue.png

* My late FIL used to eat cold hotdogs with peanut butter and bananas on Wonder bread. Don't know what he called it. My mom practically lived on onion and tomato sandwiches when I was a kid. . . The onion slice was required to be just under 1/2 inch thick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom