Funny feet - mite or moult?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Southwellski, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Southwellski

Southwellski Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    We have noticed some raised scales on our roo's legs, I can't see any mites and the rest of the flock appear ok. Is this a normal moult or mites? I have scrubbed his legs with iodine and then veg oil just in case.

[​IMG]

2. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    How old is he

3. Southwellski

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    No idea, he was a mature rescue and we have had him 6 months. How can you tell a roo's age?

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    As the rooster gets older and more mature the scales get a little larger and tougher.how large are his spurs?

5. Southwellski

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    His spurs are about 1.5" (40mm). So have I put him through the indignity of a foot scrub and oil for nothing? [​IMG]

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Probably by the looks of the pics, but atleast you were looking out for him.[​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Raised scales do usually mean leg mites, but I'm not seeing raised ones in that pic. (No that they aren't there, I just don't see it.) This type of mite lives under the scale and you won't see it around the vent or similar places. You might also have cured him! Although from what I've read here you usually have to oil or otherwise smother them more than once. I've never had to deal with them.

As for the indignity, you might also have gone a ways toward making him a friendly roo; lots of times they get much more comfortable with people if they've needed handling to treat an illness.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Nah, a pedicure is always a good thing. It can actually prevent them so it really is a good thing.
    sharon

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I think I do see some raising of the scales. I have successfully treated these with dipping the feet in mineral oil for two weeks, about every day to begin with, then every other day until the two week mark. The roos I treated (did this twice for two roos I bought from two places at different times) had the very slight raising of the scales I see in your picture.

Then two weeks later the scales were flat again.

10. Southwellski

Aug 28, 2011
    Feltwell, UK
    Here is another picture:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by