Funny Funny Funny Chicken Antics!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickadeedeedee, Jul 31, 2010.

1. chickadeedeedee

chickadeedeedee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    West of Houston
    I have four chickens, two leghorns and two ISA's, they are all 18 weeks old (and nopers no eggs yet but thats a totally different story NOT to get started on!!). My girls (possibly one guy) free range alot of the afternoon in our backyard. Bella, my sweet, biggest Isa, has taught the others that squirrels steal things from the ground so they all chase away the squirrels as well as doves. Today I was watching the girlies and Bella took off running across the backyard as fast as a skeered chicken! It all looked like an old barnyard cartoon. Her lil legs were going 90 to nothing and her wings were flapping as hard and fast as they could, head down and straight out in front of her at a mad dash chasing a squirre, squawking all the wayl!!! ALL OF A SUDDEN........... SHE STUMBLED!!! HEAD OVER HEELS SHE ROLLS, OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I didn't know whether to burst out laughing or run to her aid. Here I am standing at the backdoor watching as my Bella goes from a full run to a fast head over heels roll! She doesn't slow down after her last roll, just looks around as if to say "who stuck their foot out and tripped me" then takes up the chase again. The poor squirrel I think really got the scare of its lifetime and may just deem our back yard as off limits due to cracy chickens!!!

The only thing I am wishing now is that I had my camera, phone or something to video tape all that!

(disregard the spelling and change the c to a z in crazy!!! PLZ)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    OMG. that is such a funny story. [​IMG] I think I would have peed my pants! I wish my chickens would leanr how to chase chipmunks, the little thieves! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Sounds like she's a little heavy on her feet. [​IMG] May want to try this......

[​IMG]

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    You could breed squirrel chasing chickens and sell them at a HUGE PROFIT!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]:cd

5. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] That is funny........I always love to watch my chickens catch bugs.....to see one see a bug in the air, and chase it for like 5 minutes straight, is the funniest thing to watch !![​IMG]

6. chickadeedeedee

chickadeedeedee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    West of Houston
    as an update to my squirrel chasing chicken.... yesterday she got one. Blew my mind! for 6 years now my Boxers have been chasing squirrels in our backyard and it took this lil red sex link to nab one in just four months!!!! It was funny until the ultimate happened and then It floored me. She was chasing it and it decided to do a get away up a tree, it stopped a bit up the trunk and looked at Bella who just hopped skipped and jumped/flew to the squirrel and knocked it off the tree and proceeded to pummel it with her feet and beak! I ran to where they were and "saved" the squirell who took off outta the yard screaming (if ya have never heard a squirrel scream its something else thats forsure).

I am thinking that pretty soon we will have no squirrels who are brave enough to be on the ground in our backyard! That could save on blk oil sf seeds come wintertime lol. I am also thinking that I may rename Bella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by