1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny goose raising story

Discussion in 'Geese' started by yawnal, Jan 23, 2013.

1. yawnal

yawnal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Last spring I bought 3 young goslings. White and brown Chinese. As they grew there was one very timid one and two very talkative loud ones. I just kind of figured the timid one was female and the bossier two were male. Long story short, they grew up. One of them started laying in my flower bed. So fun! It was the one I thought was the female so I just knew I was right. The next day I went out to look around my gardens and there was one of my males all humped up having a hard time breathing. I PANICKED! I picked him up and ran to the house yelling for my family. My son and husband came out. This poor goose. I was trying to figure out why he couldn't breathe. I was looking in his mouth, up his nostrils. I picked him back up when my son yelled that something was coming out his bum. OMGoodness it was a giant (2 yoke) egg. Poor goose was a female trying to lay her first egg and getting an exam in the process. I now have 3 female geese laying eggs. Obviously I have a lot to learn.

2. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    HAHA thats great. Sorry about your scare but its pretty funny. I would most likely do the same thing. The first time my hens laid they sounded like they were dying. I freaked out but my hubby kept me calm. Its so crazy when you think about it that we get so worked up over birds but they really do become a part of the family. Best of luck to you [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Kinda like giving birth, obviously you care very much, Congrats on the eggs and [​IMG]

4. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Cute story!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by