Funny happenings with the rescue meaties

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Aug 16, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Two things have happened with my rescue meaties lately that I've found funny. Actually there's lots of things I find funny with them, but wanted to share these.

First off, my little silkie "Ellie Mae" has appointed himself as the rooster for the meaties. He will stare down the largest of the meatie roosters (who will soon be seperated from the flock). When Ellie Mae sleeps at night, he is surrounded by the meaties. The other night I turned on the light and Ellie Mae woke up to investigate. Surrounded by meaties, I thought he was stuck. He wasn't. He stood up, jumped up on the back of the closest meatie and walked across their backs to get close enough to investigate. [​IMG]

We have been experiencing a horrible heatwave. All the chicks are suffering (my adult brahmas seem unaffected by the heat). On one particular day last week one of the larger meaties seemed to be suffering more than the rest. He was really breathing hard. So, using a method we've had success with in the past, we carried him over to the hose that is attached to the well. While I held him, DH soaked him down with the ice cold water; being sure to get under his wings, across his chest and backside.

When I put him down, he ran across the yard and gave me a healthy dose of stinkeye for a few minutes. Then a hen walked by and it was like a lightbulb turning on in his brain. A rooster that was struggling one minute suddenly was in the mood for love. He chased her across the yard and jumped on. Too bad for him, that particular pullet is faster. [​IMG]

2. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Cute stories [​IMG] It's funny the little personalities they have! [​IMG] They can be so silly.

Henry jumped up on the trampoline yesterday with my son and I. We layed still so that he didn't get scared. He walked all over us. He stood right on my back and crowed LOUDLY. Jonathan (9 yrs. old) and I both jumped and of course that made the trampoline boing a little. Henry looked so proud of himself! We thought it would have scared him... LOL He kept crowing and crowing - Jonathan thinks that he was trying to make it happen again... LOL We must have made quite a picture - me laying on the trampoline with a rooster standing on me crowing for all he is worth! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by