1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny hatch--is this normal??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiffanyh, Apr 12, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    OKay, I need some advice. I have one fertile egg out of 3 that made it to day 20 (today). It started cracking late last night-no pipping/noise. Today I came ot check on it when I got home form work and there has been changes-but nothing I expected. The egg has broken open and exposed a thin layer of something underneath it. It looks like a white membrane, very thin and it is semi transparent. It actually looks like there is a baby chick through it. It is a blue egg so the membrane looks quite white up against it. Any ideas?? Is this normal???? Have any of you seen this sort of hatch --and on day 20????

And to think, I almost "disposed" of this egg early thinking it was not fertile since I couldnt see anything it in due to its color. I kept it on the air pocket progression and a hunch......

2. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Well, it should be normal, or else my eggs are weird!

Mine just pipped and hatched this morning and today. I think I migth have a third chick coming... both had the little white membrane, at one point the chick had pulled it towards itself and we could see little yellow clumps of wet fluff :3

3. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    The funny thing is, the membrane is not even slightly broken, so it looks like another egg underneath. I hope it is not a bad sign because I am getting my hopes up again:/

4. zimmy

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    No, that doesn't seem to be bad. Remember, it's only day twenty, and the chick doesn't always peck through the membrane everywhere. It was half see-through for Chick number one, and I missed chick Two's hatch-school :thun

5. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Okay --I can breath a bit....

6. zimmy

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    : D Keep us posted! Want to know how the hatch goes! Pics!~!~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by