Funny hen dance?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hyline, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    Sometimes when I go to pick up or stroke my hens a couple of them will lift their wings up, duck down a little and sort of hop quickly from foot to foot - what does this mean? Is it a defensive behaviour? They usually do it if you have taken them by surprise, though one older hen does it all the time.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is an act of submission. The pullets do this to show submission, particularly when they submit to being mated by a rooster. In a young pullet, of about 18 weeks of age, it also is an early indicator that eggs will be coming within a few weeks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Although, I should add, that some hens NEVER do this. [​IMG]

4. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    Thank you! So my hens are submitting to me, makes me feel a bit like a brute lol! [​IMG]The pullets do it the most and I guess the older girl is just young at heart! [​IMG]

5. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

I bought 2 girls about 2 weeks ago and they are now about 14 weeks, one is a little bigger than the other and today I have noticed they are starting to sort of bicker or jump up at each other. I have a feeling one may be a male but not sure.

Any answers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by