1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Funny Hen Party story

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenannie, Oct 21, 2009.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I was reading another person's post and recalled the time that I was helping clean up the small house on this farm for its next residents.

Well... I had just gotten my first 12 free-ranging hens and didn't think much about it. It was summer, and so the doors were wide open while the cleaners and painters walked in and out of the house all day. Later, when I shut the chicken coop door for the night, I couldn't figure out why there were only 10 hens. I looked and looked around and wondered if they had been attacked by a fox or so.
    For 2 days (it was the weekend), I couldn't figure out what had happened to those hens!! Well, it turns out, they had been locked into the "newly cleaned and painted" house. Oh my goodness!! When I got the phone call, I went and looked in the house, and those chickens had been having a major hen party!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They had climbed up and down the stairs to both floors and had pooped and scratched EVERYWHERE!! They decided to roost on the edge of the brand new marble sink and also upstairs on a newly painted banister rail!! (We knew cuz of where the most poop was). They had pooped in every single room of the house, on every carpet and painted surface and new linoleum with no closet left unturned. They had pecked and scratched everywhere. The funniest part was they had flown up to the new kitchen counter where there was a large thick slab of blue insulation foam laying. They had pecked out a chicken-sized "bowl-shape in the middle of the insulation slab and had laid several eggs in it.

Needless to say I spent an extra day scrubbing and cleaning up all that mess. It's funny NOW, but it was only a little bit funny at the time. I kept picturing the hen party inside with an occasional hen peering out a window, trying desperatley to get someone's attention to let them out!

Can anyone top this?!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh that is hilarious! I have two girls that would totally do something like that! Never had anything quite that bad, but I did come home one day and heard what sounded like two elephants with toenails running across the back part of the house. I ran in there, and Rudy the RIR (thought she was a boy!) and Petunia the Dark Cornish had been in my bedroom, ON MY BED!!! They didn't poop, but they made two little nests out of my blankets right next to each other. I think they were watching soap operas and gossiping! [​IMG]

They got in through the cat door. Now I have to watch them. None of my other chickens do that. They are just rotten! They'll try and sneak in and lay their eggs on my bed! [​IMG]

Shelly

3. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That's so funny that TWO of them snuck in!! I can see one trying the cat door, but did the other one just follow her in or what! Naughty chickens!! No hen parties allowed!

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    LOL...that's so funny.. I wouldn't have thought it was too funny while I was cleaning but later (OR better yet---to someone else) it's funny...

5. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That's so funny that TWO of them snuck in!! I can see one trying the cat door, but did the other one just follow her in or what! Naughty chickens!! No hen parties allowed!

Oh yeah, "Tuney-bird" taught Rudy how to come in through the door, and where I keep the special treats! [​IMG] [​IMG] Silly girls!

Shelly

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    They found the Special Treats??? Oh no! Where were they?

7. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Some were in the pantry...how they got in, I don't even want to know! They also found the cat's food and ate all the dog food, too! They are little pigs! [​IMG] Did I mention that the cat food is kept on top of the piano so the dog can't get it?? [​IMG]

Shelly

8. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I guess you need better hiding places for your food! [​IMG]

I got rid of all my grown roosters this week, and I think my hens were having a hen party outside in the yard today! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The sun was out and it was 65 degrees and there were NO ROOSTERS around to hassle them! Whoot!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Woo-hoo-hoo! DH wonders what I'm laughing about! [​IMG]

I have an EE and a BLRW that will saunter into the house whenever the door's open . . . now I'm aware of the dangers! Thanks for the great stories!

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by