Funny hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frog1935, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Frog1935

Frog1935 New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Hi everyone, I am a new member with an unusual question. In April I bought 4 chickens at point of lay. I thought one of them would be the first to lay because the comb and wattles were so large and red. Now it's head looks like arooster but it hasn't got the tail of a rooster. The others have been laying lovely eggs, one a day , since the middle of may but this one either lays nothing at all or a broken soft shell at night from the perch or somtimes just some yolk and albumin and no shell. Is it possible for it to be half male half female so it's reproductive system isn't right . Could anyone throw any light on this for me.[​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] A picture would be helpful ... anything is possible.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Welcome from Louisiana [​IMG]
    Well usually the first ones to get big bright red combs and wattles are roos, and any breed that I have had the roosters get there tails a little later then the hens. I know seems like it would be the other way as for as the tail.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It does happen but is very unusual. When it does, the left half will look female and the right male, or vice verse. Also, occasionally a chicken will experience what is called a sex change -- which it really isn't. What happens is, an older hen stops laying and the other ovary becomes more active and for some reason produces more testosterone. (Laying hens have only one active ovary, the left.)

I think it's much more likely you have a pullet with a large comb and an egg laying problem. Hopefully the problem will straighten out as she matures; they often lay odd eggs when they start laying.

Here's a good link about egg problems:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

And welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Please post a picture. I could help then.

[​IMG]

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    WELCOME!!!! [​IMG]

Sounds like your hen might have hormone imbalance kinda thing going on. I would make sure they have extra oyster shell calcium available for it. First eggs aren't usually right but these sound very wrong.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Great advice given & good luck [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from a sizzling Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Search for no shell eggs here. Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  10. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    A big [​IMG] from So California. Sounds like your girl w/ the odd eggs just needs some time to work out her kinks. Feed them back their eggs shells- crushed up, give good laying feed, and veggies. and please dont get into the habit of giving bread. Its just a filler w/ little nutritional value. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by