1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny looking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hollilynn, Mar 24, 2015.

1. hollilynn

hollilynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    I have a 1 year old barred rock that has laid funny looking eggs right from the beginning.
    She eats and drinks normally and doesn't seem sick. I will include some pics. Any ideas? I am thinking she has a problem with something internally, since she rarely lays a normal egg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This morning there was a broken egg under the roost, which I know was hers....

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Look like excess calcium deposits. What kind if feed do you use?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The first ones looks like excess calcium....the last one looks like a pretty major shell gland malfunction.

If all her eggs are not 'normal', and the other birds do lay normal eggs, it's probably not your feeding regime but an anomaly in that particular hen.
    Not likely anything can be done about it.

4. hollilynn

hollilynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    I use nutrina or layena, 16% protein. They also freerange in a large enclosed area with plenty of bugs and grass. This particular hen has always layed these weird eggs. I think I agree with aart that there is something wrong with her system. I tossed that open one and also the one she dropped off the roost last night. She is a standoffish hen, but looks and acts healthy. Oh well, not a lot to do about it I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback!

5. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I had an EE with the same issue. When I switched to Flock Raiser with oyster in the side the eggs improved somewhat. It never completely went away though.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by