Funny Moment -- Hen Jealousy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3KillerBs, Feb 10, 2014.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    In order to reinforce the understanding that I am the boss rooster in Marion's mind I make a point of insisting that every hen I can catch squats for me.

Today I managed to lure Nugget, one of my more skittish hens, into my hands for some petting and when I put her down I made her squat with my hand on her back while Marion watched from a yard away.

Noodle, my friendliest hen, was not happy to see me giving my attention to a rival. She came up and pecked the hand that was on Nugget's back.

I caught her and made her squat but didn't reward pecking with being picked up and petted. It was all I could do at the time to maintain a calm, straight face while I looked Marion in the eye and maintained dominance over Noodle.

After I got back inside I laughed myself silly over Noodle's hen jealousy.

2. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    That is a creative idea [​IMG]

3. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I got the idea from a friend who had trouble with his female dog and his wife when they were first together. The dog intended to be the alpha female in his pack. He taught his wife to act as the alpha female.

I figured that if I want to keep my rooster aware of his status I should act as the alpha rooster would.

Its the first time that one of the hens has been jealous though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by