Funny Nesting Spots

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WKYChick, May 14, 2011.

1. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    My hens have decided to stop laying in their nest box inside the coop and for the life of me couldn't figure out where they were nesting at until one day I heard all this noise and found their new nest box; an 18 gallon tote with sand in the bottom of it, it is under the awning of our back porch area, I didn't even think to look there before.

[​IMG]

I honestly don't want them to keep nesting here, any good advice to get them back to the hen house to lay their eggs?

We are in the middle of remodeling too, eventually the porch area will be enclosed, after all the storms and finally a good straight couple of days of sunshine I was able to clean up the hen house/run but we have more rain again, we are hampered by the weather to get the new coop done, waiting on the material to get here soon:)

In a way it is nice to walk out your door and scoop up the eggs but that is my sons sand for his critters, I told him I will buy him new sand [​IMG]

2. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I use white ceramic eggs in the nest boxes so they know where to lay. I got them from eggcartons.com [​IMG]

3. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    chickenlickin8: thank you, I will go there and take a look see [​IMG] I heard others talk about ceramics in their boxes but didn't know where to look for them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by