Funny "new chicken mom" story

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clusty28, Jan 5, 2016.

1. clusty28

clusty28 Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2016
    So we have just taken in 9 chickens that are about 13 weeks old.[​IMG] I think one is a rooster, although I haven't heard him yet. Tonight is the third night we have had them. Yesterday we kept them in the coop most of the day because we were told it would help them "get used to their new home". So we let them out after the kids got home from school. The boys are in love with the chicks. They were sitting on the boys laps, eating from their hands...it was all so cute. This morning, my sons and I went out to let them out and feed them. We were happy there were no chickcicles. Big win!! Soooo....long story short, the kids go to school, my husband and I go to work and leave the chickens in the run (which is uncovered). I was showing houses for three hours and was rushing home praying that they were all safe and sound, that no hawks for turkey vultures got them.[​IMG] I go straight to the run and only see two on the ground pecking away. My heart sinks as I peek in the little door of the coop and only see one little guy walking around. My first thought is "how am I going to tell my kids? where can i get new ones before they get home? Why didn't we cover the run???" [​IMG] Then I hear knocking from inside the coop and I around to the window....There sunbathing on the roosts are 6 beautiful chickens getting a little sun tan. Talk about going from so sad to so happy in a second!! Needless to say, I will be home tomorrow and the run will be covered. Don't need to have that feeling EVER again. I never thought I would feel that way about a chicken. [​IMG]

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I hear ya! Never thought those little fuzz butts could steal my heart either!

Oh, and [​IMG]!

1 person likes this.
  3. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear all your chickens are safe![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I LOVE happy endings. Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to byc - great to have you onboard :frow

Ct

7. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Glad everything turned out fine! It's so nice your kids are enjoying the chickens, children can learn a lot of life lessons with animals around.

Thanks for joining us!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by