Funny new duckling behavior

PowellAnimals

Chirping
Jul 2, 2015
Muncy, Pennsylvania
I have three female 4 month old ducklings with my chickens. My Cayuga has recently started coming up to me with a low quack and standing there as though in a trance while I pet her and then after some time, snapping out of it and moving away. While the ducks have always been friendly and will eat out of my hand, they never have allowed me to pet them before. Is this behavior equal to the chicken squatting behavior or something else? Thanks!

She's standing with her head and neck out straight in front of her, back rigid and flat, tail up, right? That is duck breeding behavior, she is soliciting you. ;) My ducklings started doing this to me as well right around 4 months old, up until my drake noticed and now they usually do it to him instead. Much more appropriate. lol!

Haha thanks for confirming! I figured that is what it was but thought she was a little young for that behavior so I thought I would double check. It is so funny and the other two ducks stare at her with a questioning expression like "What are you doing?" It cracks me up.

The others will catch on and start it soon too, I'm sure. ;) My 3 young girls (now 5 months old) solicit each other in the pool now too, and play "hop on top" with each other since my drake isn't all that hormonal at the moment. He usually just mates with his favorite one, then leaves. Poor young girls want some action, but it's the wrong time of year.

Back
Top Bottom