1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny noises from the goose pen....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I was sitting at my desk this afternoon, reading this site of course. When I hear some odd noises from my geese. These were noises I've never heard before. But they are getting real close to egg time. So I look out the window to find a big black bunny nibbling on the grass in their pen. So up I got and headed out to see if I could help. And I was able to walk right up behind the bunny and pick it up. It is a big bunny....a good 4-5lbs. And tame as tame can be. Someone must have stopped and dropped it off. Coat looks great, ears are clean......and sure does look like it will taste great [​IMG] So I guess while I'm culling later this month I maybe adding a rabbit to that list........lol

The best part about geese are they are always willing to tell you when something is wrong, danger is near, and tattle tale on everyone they can. I love my babies and it must show.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] I love my geese to and they do a good job of telling me if any thing is going on that i sould know about, but are you really going to eat the bunny [​IMG]

These are my geese they are low qaulity africans
    [​IMG]

and this is my pet bunny that lives with my chickens
    [​IMG]

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I sure hope you were teasing about eating that tame bunny. If not how could you eat a pet? Sorry but don't think that is very nice

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The rabbit is not a pet. It is a fortuitous meal sent from above. Rabbits are excellent for eating.

5. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Sorry everyone....I'm not set up for rabbits. And I do plan on eating it. Never had rabbit before and thought it would be a great adventure to eat one. It is a buck......

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A mature buck may have somewhat of an off taste. I would age him in a brine solution for a couple of days prior to cooking. Younger rabbits and even mature does have a very light flesh and mild flavor. We always cooked up the old breeder bucks for dog food.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

jack & mommy's duckies :

Sorry everyone....I'm not set up for rabbits. And I do plan on eating it. Never had rabbit before and thought it would be a great adventure to eat one. It is a buck......

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by