Funny personalities

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, Nov 21, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    My 3 wk old pekins are growing pretty quick. They are so funny, they are starting to get some pretty cute personalities. [​IMG] I can just sit there and watch them for hours, and they keep me laughing the whole time.

We had to move them outside to their newly build "barn" even though they don't have their feathers yet. They just never shut up. [​IMG] So hubby said they needed to go outside. We brought their "brooder" outside with a 100 w light and we keep it open incase they get cold they can go in under it if they need to. We checked them a few time in the middle of the night and they seemed to love the freedom of the barn. Running around peeping their little hearts out. The barn is insulated really well and they didn't seem cold at all inside there.

One question though, I read a post but can't find it now about the males with get like a raspy low quack compared to the females. What age will this happen? I was going to get some more ducks but i'm not sure yet what i have with these 4. Someone near by is giving away a boy and a girl but i don't want to add a boy until i know exactly what i have and I want to do it while these ones are still pretty young.

I tried vent sexing but... according to that i have 4 girls so I'm pretty sure i need more "practice" with that......

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Usually around 7 weeks you will know for sure. My boys liked to whistle before they changed their voices. This is not a 100% because not all will do that.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, three weeks old already! Time flies!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If I recall correctly, we started getting some honking at three weeks. By five weeks everyone was able to make some racket, and sure enough, they are all girls. Mine are runners.

5. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Thanks Katharina. I was thinking 7 wks but couldn't remember for sure. I was questioning it because atleast 1 sounds like the peep is kind of raspy and changing, but i was thinking it was way early.

6. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Yes, it has gone by so fast. And they are growing just as fast. They chase me around the yard now. Especially when I am changing out their water. I take their bowl to rinse it out and they chase me peeping their lil hearts out.

7. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Mine are pekins. And atleast 1 sounds like it might be changing but figured it was to early

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by