funny poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jklyles1, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Im pretty sure our solid white EE has been pooping like this. Its been 2 days. At first it was completely stringy white and clear and now it has solid bits to it. She is acting fine. Eating..running around..etc. Any ideas??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does all of her poop look like that?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that chickens leave all kinds of different poo. If mine have funny poo, I look for a 2nd symptom that shows the bird is not well. I don't think poo , by itself, is enough to go on. Unless it has bona fide blood in it.

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Very good point! Blood is never normal. I also look for other signs and sometimes they aren't that obvious as birds tend to hide their sickness well.

If I had one that pooped like the OP's, I would:

• Do a thorough exam (check for stuck eggs, bruising, cuts, lumps, etc.).
    • Dust for lice/mites with poultry dust even if I could not see any.
    • Weigh daily (see my avatar) - Any weight loss is cause for concern.
    • De-worm with Safeguard/Panacur (fenbendazole) 50mg/kg by mouth and repeat in ten days.
    • Place in crate on towel and inspect 24 hour sampling of poop.
    • Monitor food and water intake.
    • If needed (weight loss), tube feed water until hydrated, then tube feed baby bird food.
    • Decide if medication was needed.

5. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I'm not sure if all her poop is like that but there was about 5 blobs of this in the run this morning. She is only 12 weeks old so not laying yet.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I can't really tell from the pictures, but it looks like there might be blood in the solid pieces. I have noticed that when they are dehydrated they produce more of the white. White and blood, I would definitely keep an eye on that hen and probably start treat her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprolium).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I followed this chicken around the yard until she pooped again. There was no white or mucous looking stuff but it was still runny and has what looked like undigested food pellets in it. Since she is only 12 weeks she is supposed to be eating chick starter/Grower but possibly got into older chickens layer pellets. I hate to treat her unnecessarily. I did give them yogurt yesterday..hoping to get her digestive tract back on track!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by