Funny pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pipsmom, Oct 3, 2011.

1. pipsmom

pipsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    MA
    I have four 21 week old girls. Two have been laying for a couple of weeks now. The 3rd started a couple of days ago. This morning I go to let them out of the coop. They all come racing out looking for the scraps from last night's dinner. I went to check the nest boxes and there weren't any eggs. The golden comet that just started laying grabbed a bite or two and then turned around and raced back into the coop and jumped in the nest box. She was in there for about 5 minutes and came running back out and grabbed another bite. Then raced back in to the nest box. Came out about 5 minutes later and sure enough she had laid an egg. Guess she thought she was missing out on the good food.
    I haven't gotten any other eggs for the past 3 days. The first two that started laying go into the nest box for maybe 45 minutes but there isn't anything there when they come out. And the 4th one who isn't laying yet sings the egg song every time one of the others goes into the nest box. She has really gotten mouthy the last few days but not paying the rent yet. Is it normal for them to skip several days after they start laying and do you think Miss Mouthy will start laying soon? Her comb is red but not quite as big as the others. She is a BA.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Yes, eggs are sporadic at first. I know it's hard, but try to be patient. It sounds like all your girls will be paying the rent very soon!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That golden comet made me LOL. Yes, it's normal for them to be abnormal for a bit.

4. pipsmom

pipsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    MA
    LOL. Yes it is difficult to be patient. I have been through this twice before so should know how it goes. It seemed like my last ones laid consistently once they started though. I don't remember my other ones acting like they were laying though and then nothing. If they went into the nest box for while, there would be an egg there. I also have a 4 yr old mixed breed hen that has always been a good layer unless she went broody. She lost her best friend back in July, right around the time I added the 4 new ones to the coop. She continued laying until a couple of weeks ago. She seems to be getting along well with the new ones but the last time she laid an egg was the first day that I got an egg from one of the new ones. She isn't broody and isn't molting so not sure what is going on with her. I'm hoping she lays again. She had great eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by