Funny purring rooster

OurLittleChickenFarm

Miracles Happen
13 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Aberdeen
I have an 18 week old EE rooster named Warlock. He is "second fiddle" around here. Second in comand to Boss, the RIR, senior rooster. Boss wants all 10 hens for himself and poor Warlock has to be really sneaky. He will spy a hen off by herself without Boss around and race to her for a surprise quickie. Then he does the dance for her. I know that isn't unusual behavior but after he does that he will snuggle himself down by a fence post or the barn, fluff his feathers, and make a satisfied purring noise. He won't stay there long - 30 seconds to a minute - then get up and walk away. Have any of you noticed your roosters doing that?

It is so funny. He keeps us laughing. I wish I had a picture of him doing this but it is the kind of thing that is hard to catch.

Brenda
39372_warlockscrappy.jpg

I know what you mean. Jasper always sounds like an elephant. Some time I will try and get a video of him. Sometimes he even sounds like he is laughing.

Karen

Quote:
It is a soft contented purring sound. Not loud or shrill. Maybe he is just happy and proud of himself.
roll.png
Whatever he is doing, it is sweet.

Usually when a roo does that he is enticing the hen to start a nest in the area that he has "found'. It is alot like a purring noise in a way. I love to watch the roos do their dances and running after the hens; especially the little banty roosters in all their glory!!!
smile.png

Quote:
That makes perfect sense! It explains why he does it up against something like the barn or a grassy fence post. Maybe he is trying to create a flock of his own and seperate the hen from the other rooster. Hmmmmm...........

Like you, I'm really enjoying watching the roosters. I never knew how gentlemanly, generous, and proctetive they can be.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom