Funny quacks & curly tail feathers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lucila, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Lucila

Lucila New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Concrete, Washington
    I started out with 5 ducks, 3 Indian runners and 2 white crested. I didn't know anything about the crested at the time and the farm store didn't tell me anything unusual about their breed. I'd had a crested chicken in the past and assumed the ducks crest was the same thing, but it's not. It's a genetic deformality that's bred into them and the crest is a fat mass protecting their brains because their skulls don't close up all the way. So our duck, Blanc who has an abnormally large crest also has neurological problems and can't stand all the way up or walk as well as the others. But she works hard to keep up :) All of the ducks grew curly tail feathers except Blanc, she also has a very distinct "Womp!" Sounding quack. But now at 21 or 22 wks she/he has developed a curly tail feather! I don't know what to make of it, is it abnormal to happen that late?
    I've since gotten 9 more females (although one might be a Mr.) 7 cayugas, 1 mallard, and a big white one haha. I let them all out to roam and forage every day all day long with tons of space and they love it, but they are still going through a 5gal container of food a day. Is that normal or am I over feeding them with all the opportunity at foraging they have?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You might want to post in the Ducks section of the Forum, lots of knowledgeable folks there. Love that middle picture.

3. Lucila

Lucila New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Concrete, Washington
    Will do. Thank you for helping me navigate!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lucilla, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Hope you find the answers you seek!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Love the pics!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by