1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny quacks & curly tail feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lucila, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Lucila

Lucila New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Concrete, Washington
    I started out with 5 ducks, 3 Indian runners and 2 white crested. I didn't know anything about the crested at the time and the farm store didn't tell me anything unusual about their breed. I'd had a crested chicken in the past and assumed the ducks crest was the same thing, but it's not. It's a genetic deformality that's bred into them and the crest is a fat mass protecting their brains because their skulls don't close up all the way. So our duck, Blanc who has an abnormally large crest also has neurological problems and can't stand all the way up or walk as well as the others. But she works hard to keep up All of the ducks grew curly tail feathers except Blanc, she also has a very distinct "Womp!" Sounding quack. But now at 21 or 22 wks she/he has developed a curly tail feather! I don't know what to make of it, is it abnormal to happen that late? I've since gotten 9 more females (although one might be a Mr.) 7 cayugas, 1 mallard, and a big white one haha. I let them all out to roam and forage every day all day long with tons of space and they love it, but they are still going through a 5gal container of food a day. Is that normal or am I over feeding them with all the opportunity at foraging they have?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Hi Lucila! Welcome to BYC!

I can't see the curly feather very easily from the pictures you posted, but I would guess that Blanc is a HE, if she has developed a curly feather on her tail and has a different quack than the others. My two drakes have a kind of lowish trilly voice, almost. I don't know how to describe it. This video may help. I don't know how to translate what language it is, but the first adult duck shown is a male, a drake, and the second adult duck shown is a female. Not sure about the two ducklings at the end.

I'm surprised they'd go through 5 gallons of feed a day, especially with all that foraging available. My four adult ducks (I'm only guessing) probably eat about 5 cups of feed a day total, if that, and they don't have access to much forage because of my dog. Are you sure you don't have a secret creature helping itself to your duck feed? [​IMG]

3. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wow that's alot of feed!
    For three ducks and two chickens I go through about five gallons a week. Even given how many more you have than I do it still sounds like they're eating too much. Maybe they don't forage enough.

Just like Wordgirl said - I'll bet your Blanc is a he. That low quack plus curly tail is a pretty good indicator.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    A 5 Gal container a day? is it being knocked over? are squirrels or wild birds eating out of it. I put out 2 50lbs feeders but don't even fill them to half, they are not empty by the days end that feeds 19 ducks in that flock and yes they free range.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  5. Lucila

Lucila New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Concrete, Washington
    My bad, I just talked to my boyfriend and he only fills the 5gal containers up half way every day. Our 3 chickens will go in there and eat more often than not recently, but squirrels and birds don't have access.

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    The green bills say drake to me. I will try to get a pic of mine later for comparison.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Then your probably about right, if chickens are eating it and it's only half way. Birds are quite good at regulating IMO so free choice is perfectly acceptable.

8. Lucila

Lucila New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Concrete, Washington

Thanks :) I actually know for sure those three guys are drakes. They have little whisper quacks and very curly tail feathers. I was just posting some pictures of my adorable ducks there.

9. Lucila

Lucila New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Concrete, Washington
    The duck I'm a little perplexed by has just gotten a curly tail feather at 21/22wks old, I thought they got them long before that.. she/he does have a neurological problem, whether that could have anything to do with it I have no idea. She/he has seemed to have developed at the same rate as the same breed we got it with, but it walks funny and has to keep up.
    I currently have too many drakes to ducks and am having to decide which ones I can keep. I thought I was going to be keeping her! (He? Haha)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by