Funny Question?? rooster/hens

spookyone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Hi, Why is it some people thinks you need a rooster to have your hens laying eggs? I have 2 college people ask me this question and I almost had to laugh. Have you ever had this question put to you??

I don't know why people think this, but they do. It usually shuts them up fast if you tell them a woman doesn't need a man to release an egg - same with chickens.

When we first got chickens, my DH thought that the hen laid an infertile egg, then the rooster got in the nest box and fertilized them. I about peed my pants from laughing so hard.

For how common they are, there are a lot of misconceptions about chickens, aren't there? If more people grew up on farms or taking care of animals, I have a hunch that there wouldn't be as much confusion.

The kind folks I got my rooster from had originally gotten him to try and coax their pullets to start laying. I remember thinking at the time that that didn't sound quite right, but I didn't know what to say and thus, politely kept my mouth shut. I never like it when someone points out one of my silly remarks and makes me feel like a moron.

I don't know why people think this, but they do. It usually shuts them up fast if you tell them a woman doesn't need a man to release an egg - same with chickens.

When we first got chickens, my DH thought that the hen laid an infertile egg, then the rooster got in the nest box and fertilized them. I about peed my pants from laughing so hard.

LOL!! I ABOUT PEED READING THAT!

I've gotten this question a lot, I even had someone who told me he grew up on a farm that no wonder my pullets (2 months at the time) weren't laying eggs I needed a rooster. I just smiled and said "Nope they're just not old enough yet." He didn't believe me, LOL.

I've gotten this question a lot, I even had someone who told me he grew up on a farm that no wonder my pullets (2 months at the time) weren't laying eggs I needed a rooster. I just smiled and said "Nope they're just not old enough yet." He didn't believe me, LOL.

It sounds like he might have lived one day on a farm. But apparently it wasn't long enough to know how old hens have to be to lay eggs and that they don't need a rooster to lay eggs.

If someone told me he grew up on a farm and that I needed a rooster to get my 2-month-old pullets to lay eggs, I think I would have to call him out on the fact that he didn't know what the heck he was talking about and recommend he go spend some more time on the farm to lose his ignorance.

It seems he just fell off the turnip truck. Maybe he lived on a turnip farm. :)

Last edited:
Thank you - best laugh I've had all morning - guess I better go out and see if any of my hens are pregnant - oh, wait, no roosters, they can't be pregnant!

Ack! There's a rooster in with my girls! I'd better go make sure none of THEM are pregnant! Of course, this does explain why they're all laying eggs
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom