1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

funny rescue hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by birdnerd88, Oct 19, 2014.

1. birdnerd88

birdnerd88 New Egg

Mar 15, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I brought this funny hen home from the farm animal sanctuary I work at because she was running away from every flock we introduced her to. We don't know much about her except that she was kept alone before being surrendered. As a result she is terrified of other chickens (even my two meek girls) but is fairly people friendly. She has a very americauna look to me except for her puffy hairdo and distinctive fingery comb. She's a little smaller than my white plymouth rock and columbian wyandotte but she's still a good sized hen. She hasn't layed any eggs yet so I'm not sure what color they are but her black feathers have the most amazing green iridescence that the pictures couldn't capture. Like my other two hens she'll be a pet so its mostly out of curiosity that I'm trying to figure out her breed. Any guesses would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Looks like a polish cross

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Polish mix to me, too.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on Polish mix.

5. birdnerd88

birdnerd88 New Egg

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks! I honestly hadn't thought of polish even though we have a few of them in our flocks. Her little bouffant isn't nearly as big as theirs and I was getting caught up on that odd comb of hers. I really haven't seen a comb like hers on any other chicken.
    Thanks for the input!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Polish mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by