Funny roo behavior

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jrose, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    I've got a turken roo that's just a bit odd. He's almost a year old, I raised him along side a few dozen other birds last year. He's always been clingy, wants to be held, wants attention from me. Pecks at my pant leg for attention and gets under my feet. Sometimes he squawks like a hen and squats for me, wings out. Talk about weird! And yes, he's a roo.
    He's a healthy weight and eats well. But he spends a lot of time hunkered down, tucked in, fluffed up. Sick chicken posture, worrisome. I noticed this at least 5 months ago. He also waggles his head from side to side frequently. I only recently noticed this in the last week or two I think. Shakes it, does a figure 8 almost. He's not got any frostbite. I've checked him over and over and over for bugs, none present on him (or any other bird) that I can spot. I checked his ears too. Sometimes he's trembly or shaky, even when not warranted. All other birds are in excellent health.
    Maybe he's just not quite right up top?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    Oh, and he has a limp when he runs. He hobble dramatically RIGHTleft, RIGHTleft, RIGHTleft. Not an even stride like the other birds. He looks and feels normal though.

3. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe he has some bugs that you can't see and a saw leg! And is probably just confused because he's pretty young and growing up! Does he crow?

4. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    My vision is pretty keen and I check him often cause he's so goofy. The chances of me missing bugs on him, or the other birds, with frequent inspections is very slim. If they were profuse enough to be causing head tossing or lethargy I would definitely see the outbreak, I think. I'll check again in the morning for good measure.

What is a 'saw leg'? I don't know if he's always run like this, I can't say for sure.

He does not crow. I have 4 roos, the dominant 2 crow. This guy and his brother are subordinate and don't make a peep. They do breed hens from time to time, but generally the hens don't let them.

5. collingwood

Bugs on or in the eyes would explain the swinging of his head! And insects can be very small! I hope he's okay! Have you inspected his foot? Check for anything unusual like one leg being longer than the other!

6. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    I gave him a detailed combing today. Not a bug in sight. Got right up in his ears. They appear to have some very fine debris in them though (not bugs). I dug a bit out with my finger and didn't have time to spend monitoring him. I'll see if the shaking stops.

He walks totally normal. His legs look completely normal. If one's longer it's not noticeable. He only hobbles like that when running (or trying to run). Not walking. I'll inspect his legs more, poke and prod and press.

7. collingwood

He could have bugs in his eyes! Otherwise I can't think of anything else at the moment!

8. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    I had a lot of turkens this year, one in particular ripped his neck open badly and we stitched him back up. I think this is that roo. Sometimes I wonder if that has anything to do with it.... His eyes are clean and clear. I haven't noticed head circling today, but I'll keep watching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by