Funny side affect of nursing sick chickens in the house....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LogCabinChicks, Jan 23, 2015.

1. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    So you can see from my previous thread I had some pretty sick chickens over the last three weeks. Some doses of Corrid and Tylan...and we are definately on the mend and I am one happy lady! Last Friday I thought I was going to lose 8 hens...all with seriously bloody butts. One hen in particular was cowering in the corner of the coop and shivering. So, instead of letting her pass away in the cold and alone, I brough her in the house, put her in my dog cage, gave her clean medicated water and feed and placed her by the wood stove. My husband made a "roost" in the dog cage in case she didn't want to sleep on the floor. By the fifth morning, she was doing great! She was actually talking to me and that afternoon...she laid an egg! YEAH! So that evening, under darkness I slipped her back in the coop. Yesterday I came home from work, opened the coop and went back in the house to take off my work clothes and attend to the animals inside my house...well guess who was at the back door....

[​IMG]

So...what was I to do but let her in for while...after all she just walked across at least 150 foot of snow to get to the back door from the coop! So I put my boots and coat on, got their scratch and the basket for eggs, propped her in my arm and we went back to the flock. Gave them their evening scratch and she seemed content...until...

[​IMG]

yup...she was back! My husband and I had a good chuckle, I once again walked her back out, but this time I put her on the roost. I watched out the window for 10 minutes and nope...she wasn't returning. I left for spin class. When I came home from class I asked my husband if he closed the coop and he said yup! after the chicken and I watched the news!

[​IMG]

I have created a chicken monster. [​IMG]

Going to order some diapers...I think we have a pet chicken ...now to give her a name. [​IMG]

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Well that's just too cute! So glad they are all recovering for you. [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Thank heavens your chickens recovered. That's cute - your husband is a big softy. My husband would do the same, if one of our chickens was begging to get in. I guess the human coop is a lot warmer, and the human flock might be nicer, too. One of my hens who spent time indoors recovering got chased around for a while by the other hens once she was reintroduced.

4. LogCabinChicks

May 3, 2014
    I am so happy they are recovering well! I really thought I was going to lose half my flock. Just in case you were wondering Henrietta came back again this evening for a snack--in the house. [​IMG]

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Glad everyone recovered well and congratulations on the new house pet. I have one that has her own room. They are part of the family.

6. LogCabinChicks

May 3, 2014
    I ordered her diapers today from Louise's Country Closet...can't wait to get them. I do put her back out in the coop at night for now...not sure what the future holds. lol I have visions of roosts in the living room in a big ol bird cage. [​IMG]

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    yes I could see that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by