Funny Silkie Noises...does anyone else's roo's do this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by myfester, Sep 7, 2010.

1. myfester

myfester Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    I have 2 Silkie roo's. They are thoroughly entertaining! I've had roosters of different breeds before, so I'm familiar with the "tuck tuck tuck" sound they make when they "found food" for the girls and of course familiar with their crow...VERY familiar with their crow [​IMG]. Anyway, these two boys have another sound I've never heard anyone else make...it's almost like a call to each other because as one starts, the other follows with the same yell immediately as well. It sounds almost like a crow "RAAAH". The other is a low throaty "growl" which I have occasionaly heard the girls put out as more of a warning.

Does anyone else have very verbal silkies or other roos with a large vocabulary? It's very interesting...wasn't sure if was a "silkie" thing or what.

Thanks
    Laura

2. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    All my roos "talk". My splash is particularly vocal with me. The more I talk to him the more he talks back. We have conversations. [​IMG] If anyone ever saw this they'd think I was nuts.

3. myfester

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Don't worry, I talk to mine while they are sitting on my lap [​IMG] and they sit outside the front window of my house "calling" to each other (like echoing each other) and are constantly making the strangest little sounds that I never heard come out of a rooster. It's way cute and funny. Guess it's a "silkie" thing [​IMG]

4. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    It must be. [​IMG] My hens are even more talkative. They have an opinion about everything and let you know it whether you like it or not. [​IMG]
    Have you had them trill at you when your holding them?

5. myfester

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    by "trill", do you mean when they just go "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"? They do that a lot. I wish I had some hens too, but when I got these 2 that I have, we were hoping either both would be hens or maybe one of each...but since I seem to be a rooster magnet...yep..2 roos. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by