Funny standing chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MilleFluersRus, Feb 4, 2017.

1. MilleFluersRus

MilleFluersRus New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    I just got my twelve new Chickies from ideal hatchery (the heavy pullets) and this little guy was in there... she stands straight up like a runner duck and she sleeps ALL THE TIME. She seems healthy just a little different. I named her Norma. It's kinda hard to tell because she is leaning on my hand
    [​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    The chick looks sick. They often stand like that and close their eyes when not feeling well. Put some electrolytes in their water.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks sick to me, too. I would isolate it from the other chicks (or maybe with just one gentle companion) and make sure it is eating and drinking well. Putting some vitamins/electrolytes in its water is also a good idea.

4. MilleFluersRus

MilleFluersRus New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    She runs around like the other chicks... She was sleeping when I got her to take the picture (she doesn't always act like that) . But she runs, jumps, eats and drinks. But I'll still give her some electrolytes... Atleast maybe it will give them some energy back from their long voyage

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like it may even have some internal deformations. They way it stands, legs look locked straight, head is pulled in like it has no neck. Just looks like its deformed to me, hard to tell from pics though. Don't be surprised if it doesn't make it, hope she does though.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    x2

I've had chicks that looked like that before. I don't remember any making it. Even if it isn't all the time, it's not normal. [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does it seem to be growing (developing) along with the others or falling behind? I hope it has the best possible outcome.

8. MilleFluersRus

MilleFluersRus New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    Update: I gave her some electrolytes with an eye dropper and encouraged her to eat and she is no longer lethargic (I think she may have been dehydrated). Secondly, she is smaller than the rest of the chicks but she holds her own. Her legs aren't locked ( i will give it to you, they looked like they were in picture) she seems normal and she looks around and occasionally (when eating) she'll extend her neck. She just stands funny... Any idea as to what specie she is? Maybe that has something to do with it. Is it possible they slipped either a bantam or some long legged chicken specie? Her legs are coming considerably longer than the other chicks[​IMG]

9. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    The only bantam breed I can think of with long legs are modern game

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  10. MilleFluersRus

MilleFluersRus New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    UPDATE: Norma took a few days but she has completely recovered. She is still smaller than the others but her feathers are coming in nicely. Also she is flapping and jumping and exploring niclely. She looks like a normal chick and she doesnt stand upright anymore. Still don't know what she is though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by