Funny story about my "killer" banty OEGC

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karri25, Jan 24, 2008.

1. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    OK my Pepe La Rue has always been one spoiled litle banty. WE bought he and his brothers at a sale barn for $1.00 a peice when they were chicks. Straight run my hiney! WE found homes for his brothers but we LOVE our little Pepe. He is the smallest banty EVER!!! He is smaller than a chichuaha, I'd say around half a foot. He's so pretty, so cute, so funny. He was attacked by a dog during the summer and we nursed him inside for forever and even tried to keep him inside b/c it took awhile for the flock to accept him back. His crowing got in the way. Anyways the bird is spoiled!!! WEll....he has recently "come into his own" and has been taking care of some of my banty hens. I went into the coop AT DUSK last night when all of the birds are calm and all of a sudden there was a ferocious little ball of feathers going after my boots like nobody's business. It took me like a minute before I realized what was going on and then all I could do was laugh!!!! My sweet little Pepe La Rue was trying to kill me! It was a good thing I wasn't barefoot or my feet, my right one in particular offended him, would be meat mulch:) I sotfly pushed him with my foot until I had him cornered ina nest box and then he calmed down. Of course he resumed his attack a few moments later and I had to do it all over again. On one hand I think it's hilarious but on the other hand I am so sad that my sweety has crossed over to the dark side:-( Will he ever be nice again or is he doomed to be an evil roo? Poor Pepe La Rue:-(

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I know the feeling! I had a sweet little OEGB cockeral named Little PeeWee that sounds about like your Pepe. Unfortunately a fox got him before he became completely out of control but he, also, would attack my feet. You will need to show Pepe you are the head roo and don't, under any circumstances, let him continue as he is now. (PeeWee was my first experience with chickens so I didn't know better then and, like you, I was sad that he was no longer the sweet little guy he used to be.) From what I've read, a lot of people just pick up their rooster when he's acting bad and hold him under their arm and go about their business for 15 minutes or so. They say never to put him down when he struggles but do it when YOU say it's time. I think some hold them like a baby (on their back). The point is to show who is the dominant roo. I've also read not to let them mate when you are there. That shows you are the dominant roo too. Good luck with Pepe La Rue. CUTE name!!!!

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have Little Buddy, and he's never attacked me, but has tried to get "friendly" with my foot on more than one occasion. I finally got him a couple of girls a few months ago, so I don't hear much out of him anymore. [​IMG]

4. Rocket Raley

Rocket Raley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    I pick Mel up and put my hand over his head for a min so he is in the dark and can't move. Then I carry him around for a few mins and let him down.

I finally figured out what triggers this. If I'm wearing my tenny shoes with floppy shoe laces verse my boots. He will attack.
    If I'm wearing my floppy sweet pants verses tight jeans, he attacks.
    If I'm wearing my jacket or hoody he attacks.

Basically, if any of my clothing sways or moves, he takes it offensivley and attacks. I think it is the same to him as dropping a wing and dancing before a attack.

5. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the advise I am going to go out right now, catch my tiny little ro, and carry him around for half an hour. I hope he doesn't try to killm ein the process:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by