Funny surprise in the coop

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by eleanorkay, Aug 8, 2010.

1. eleanorkay

eleanorkay Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Big Rapids, MI
    Yesterday I went out later than usual and the chickens weren't in the run and Kingsley, the rooster wasn't doing his usual crowing. We had gotten home after dark the night before and we had left the chickens out free ranging (I know we are bad "parents"). We checked on them and all were in the coop and we locked them up for the night. Well, when they weren't in the run I figured something awful had happened (something in the coop besides the chickens last night?) so I cautiously opened the back door of the coop thinking I was going to find all my chickens dead and bloody, but to my surprise they were all huddled in one nesting box looking a little intimidated. I looked on the coop floor and laying in the bedding was a little black kitten (I would say about 6 weeks old so not very big). He was huddled in the corner looking at them:oops:. I wish I would have had the camera:lol: The kitten jumped out and ran into the tall grass and we haven't seen it since, the poor little thing. So then my big "brave" chickens came out and enjoyed their day. Good lesson for me not to leave them free ranging when I'm not home, next time I may not be so lucky:smack

2. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    That's crazy! I'm glad your story had a happy ending! [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

On the other hand, I'm glad you inadvertently gave shelter to a needy kitten.

4. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    What? leaving those poor defenseless chooks out when there's panthers afoot? [​IMG]

Aw, poor little guy. I hope maybe you can find him again and give him a home? Maybe he can be your chicken guarding kitty?

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Good story, I'm glad it had a happy ending. I'm afraid my chickens would have killed it; they were such savages to my cats before they died. I hope you find the kitten.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Great story.

I had a stray cat that would sleep in the coop during winter days. He moved into the big house the following year.

I also took 2 feral kittens(about 2-3 weeks old) away from mom a few years ago. A week later I found the third kitten in a outdoor nest.

Imp- hope the kitten comes back and you can rescue it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by