Funny TSC chick "Sexing" story :D

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittleDarlings, Mar 5, 2012.

1. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    I stopped in for goat feed and found they had a brand new batch of Ameracaunas. Finally hubby agreed and found me a TSC associate to help. The guy couldn't be 20. He gets in there and I got in behind him and around the bin so I could pick out the exact ones I wanted. So just as he leans in the bin he stops and asked, "Are ya gonna try an sex 'em first?" I stopped and stared for a second. I told him, "I have no idea how to sex these chicks." He then tells me, "Well a lady was in here just a little bit ago and she kept smelling each chick as she took it out." I asked him, "Did she believe boys smell different than girls?" He started laughing and said, "I don't know what she thought, all I know is she kept smellin' the chicks." I said, "Wouldn't they all smell the same if they were all shipped together and then kept in the same bin??" He told me that he believes so, but he's not going to smell them and find out!

OMG!! Has anyone heard of chicks smelling different for their genders??

I ended up with 10 new babies and laugh! Gotta love TSC!!

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    How funny. I can normally tell from a look in their eyes, but smelling just seems weird. [​IMG]

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Is he sure she was smelling them and not vent sexing?

4. LittleDarlings

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    Oh no, he was kind enough to demonstrate without actually holding a chick. It looked like he smelling a plate of food. He even asked a co-worker if he saw the lady smelling the chicks. The guy said it was one of the strangest things he seen so far at TSC.

5. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Cocci and some respiratory illnesses can cause a chick to have a fowl odor...that may have been what she was doing...And be carefull...the TSCs around here sell "Americanas" too but they are not pure Ameraucanas...they are Easter eggers...still good layers...you just wont know what color egg they will lay until they do! They are a mix but make some pretty birds...I have an EE in with my Wheaten Amers and she is my fav gal! I just hate for you to think you will get all pretty blue eggs and get greens and browns too!!

6. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I guarantee the "Ameracauna's" that TSC is getting in are EE's. They're coming from Privett.

7. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Now THAT is the weirdest way I've ever heard... [​IMG]

8. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Actually I think they get them from what ever hatchery is close to them. Ours gets them from Mt Healthy. We got 4 from them last year. Two turned out to be roos and of the two hens one lays a green egg and one lays brown.

Funny story! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  9. LittleDarlings

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    Well that does make sense. I don't know what she was doing or why, and I'm willing to bet the TSC guy didn't either. I'm going to guess that since everyone wants to know the sex of the chicks before they buy them, that maybe he just "assumed" she was sexing them; and that I might do it too. [​IMG]

Thanks for the explanation of the difference between EE's and Ameracaunas. To be honest, the more colors of eggs I get, the happier I'll be! [​IMG]

10. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    We had a woman blow into the butts of the chicks. And apparently, depending on how the butt reacted, made it a hen or a rooster. THAT one got me laughing today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by