1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

funny way's chicks lay down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankensusan, Jul 26, 2007.

1. frankensusan

frankensusan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Escondido, CA
    Geeze I think I've gotten more grey hair from this batch of chicks ! They're 2 weeks old tomorrow-ish

I look out at the brooder and see them all laying flat with necks stretched out looking dead. So I wake them up, they're fine.

Then I see one this morning on it's side kicking it's feet, I watch for awhile thinking maybe she's trying to take a dust bath or something, finally decide to go in and pick her up to check for a broken back, and she gets up and is just fine.

When there was a spot of sun by the brooder I saw several on their sides with their wings stretched out and thought they were gonners. They're just catching some rays.

I tried to get pictures. Will post later. [​IMG] Anything other strange ways the chicks are going to be found laying down and sleeping that I shouldn't worry myself over?

Susan

2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Mine used to look dead all the time........just relaxing to the max I guess:D

3. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    my 2 chicks do that lay on there sides with there feet stretched out, they have done that for a while now, they are 5 weeks old now

4. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I thought my RIR roosters neck was broken today when I walked out to the coop and run, he was laying on his stomach and his head was all the way back, his comb against his back. I was like :|

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My 9 week old Buff Orps. were sunbathing last week. They laid on their side and spread their wings and legs out. Looked like they were in a trance for a few minutes. I would have been worried if I hadn't been watching them before they laid down! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    yes!....i must have a had 10 heart attacks since i got these chicks....when mine were three days old they would run around the brooder like crazy and then just collapse of exaustion, Legs spralled out and everythig. Now they just started dust bathing and i thought they were having seizures!!! [​IMG] Silly chickies!

7. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    lol.
    mine likes to put its head in things and lay there i always though it got its head stuck and broke it lol stupid bird...

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

When I first got chickens, that's what I thought too, Dom'shens. I thought Tom was having a seizure and ran out screaming her name...she was disgusted with me for interrupting her bath...oops.

9. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I have one chick who sleeps on its back with its legs sticking up in the air and its head rolled to the side. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by