Funny wings???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jettgirl24, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I just hatched out 8 Marans babies on Thursday. They're a mix of splash, blue, and black. They're all looking healthy and adorable and they've started to sprout their little wing feathers! One of the blue and one of the splash looks kinda funny though.. Not the actual wing, just the wing feathers. The wing itself looks totally normal. On those two the wings curve out pretty dramatically whereas the other chicks' feathers lay flat. Here is a picture of the splash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Is this normal or ???

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Anyone got an idea whats going on here? They aaaalmost look like the wing feathers I've seen on baby frizzles... As far as I know neither of the parents are frizzles so could it even be one? Are there even frizzle Marans?

I've only had a total of 12 chicks in my life but none of them grew their wing feathers out like this. It's making me super curious about what's going on here and what it's going to look like as it gets bigger!

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    It looks like the primary feathers are twisted, which is a genetic condition. Doesn't hurt the hen any, but it is a disqualification from a show and should not be used in a breeding program. [​IMG]

4. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Oh man, that's not so exciting [​IMG]

That's ok though, They're just pets and egg layers so as long as it doesn't hurt them I'm ok with that!

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have a Buff rock Roo 18wks who had that same thing on his right wing from the time he started feathering, I called him Lefty. Now at 18wks the feathers are all laying were they should be. Now I call him Horse because he is one big Roo. Your''s might also come around.

6. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I had a chick that was like that also and with in a few weeks his feathers were laying normally. Hopefully your's is the same thing.

7. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Ok good! I hope that's the case with mine. Both wings on the splash pictured look like that. Only one wing on the blue does it. Hoepfully it will sort itself out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by