Furious update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Godsgrl, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I have calmed down, and had a chance to think things over. I have decided to give Wilbur, my rooster, a second chance. He was quite respectful yesterday. I guess my tantrum after he spurred me made an impact. Thanks Rooster Red for the link on roosters. I will follow your suggestions, and try to shape his behavior.

He is darn near impossible to catch during the day. Does taking him off the roost in the evening still count as carrying him around? I plan to take him up every night and carry him around some.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions on this. Another learning experience with chickens.

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I missed your original post. Follow rooster reds advice it worked well for me last year. My roo a rir was spurring my grown daughter and when I caught him in the act I did the tipping they talked about about 3-4 times and the boy never did it again and is very respectful to me and every other human.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I carry around Blue Rooster,, but only because I spoiled him rotten! Now he thinks anyone who walks up on the porch needs to pick him up and he tries to jump on people. Be careful you don't over socialize him.
    I would count taking him off the perch, he's calm then and as long as he doesn't get overly excited it should work.
    K

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thanks for the replies. Writer, your rooster sounds like a charm. My Wilbur is very independent-I don't think I could get him that tame. Guess I should have held him more as a youngster.

Equine, I'm glad you found a way to settle your rooster. I'll keep it in mind if I have to tackle him again.

5. crittergal

crittergal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    Ohio
    I am new here and didn't see the first post - what was the link you read? Our neighbor had an aggressive rooster and he would attack me all the time. We now have chicks, and I want to make sure our roosters don't get mean.

Thank you!!

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks so much for that link - and to Rooster Red for providing the info. My parents had a super mean rooster when I was growing up. I just ordered my chicks and I included two roosters, even though I'm a little concerned about getting a mean one. That link gives me some confidence that I can hopefully stop any aggression issues towards me or my husband before it becomes such a problem.

Thanks!
    Penny

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Basic- I've found that the younger you get the rooster, and the more you handle him, the better. Even if you just pick him up and walk around with him under your arm while you water and feed, that will really help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by