Furnace register or vents....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EweSheep, Jul 16, 2008.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well one of the large intake air vents in hallway floor of my house smelled of litterbox...the litterbox is in the bathroom and cleaned regularly.

It smelled like old air with a tint of cat urine or litterbox smell every time the CA kicks on. We have cleaned the vents out before we started it up this morning. Now, how to get rid of the smell and smelling good thru the summer months??

I thought about used dryer lints in the intake vents and out take vents (where the cool air comes out). would this work?????

Also, my daughter and I have issues with allergies, would one get some kind of filters for the vents?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome to make my OLD house smelling good!

2. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    The dryer clothes sound like a good idea, and yes they do make filters for the outlet vents.

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I've tried the filters on my vents to cut down on dust. Unfortunately, it also cuts way down on airflow, too. I took them out. [​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You can buy a deodorizing pump spray in most hardware stores to remove pet urine scents. Summer is a great time to do this. Just read the contents to be sure you're not allergic to them. Also if you shampoo carpets, Bissell has a wonderful shampoo that eliminates pet aroma.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    i have always found vinegar extrememly useful in getting rid of urine odours. Try putting some in a squirt bottle and spraying the area with the vinegar. I use regular white vinegar.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No carpets in the house anymore, we took them out after the year we moved in about four years ago.

Tried vinegar and it works for a little bit. The wood floor was so poreous!

I love the smell of honeysuckle and cinnamon apple pie......and Snuggle or Downy fresh smell!

Maybe I should take one of the used dryer sheets and tag it on to the vents and experiment with the odors.

Thanks!

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Some furnace duct cleaning companies do more then just vacuum out your vents, they actually can "clean" them you may want to check into it....

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    A few charcoal briquettes placed just inside the vent will do wonders for absorbing the oder.
    They work for about a month, then replace.

Just make sure you use plain charcoal, not the easy to light stuff that contains lighter fluid.

1 person likes this.
  9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wow, I sure do have charcoal around...the fish kind...I can wrap it with gauze and drop them in the vents! Never thought of it!

We thought about having our ducts cleaned but they cost a bunch even our ducts are not that long, mostly in center of the house.

10. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

the charcoal does sound promising.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by