Furry leg trait

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by bionic grandpa, Feb 16, 2017.

1. bionic grandpa

bionic grandpa Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    I have a Barred Rock X Cochin rooster and i am breeding it with hens that have clean legs, i was wondering if the furry leg trait was Dominant or recessive so i could to some Punnet squares

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Feathered legs are dominant. With a mixed rooster that has feathered legs, you should get 50% chicks with feathered legs.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In my experience, they're partially dominant.

Meaning, your rooster is a mix. One parent had fully feathered legs (cochin), one parent had clean legs. So, your rooster likely has lighter feathering on this legs than his Cochin parent. Each time you cross him to a clean legged hen, you'll get less feathers on the offspring's legs. I've seen birds that were several generations down that had just a few random feathers on each leg, like 4-5.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I've had the same thing. I have a couple hens I didn't even know they had feathered legs, there was so few (maybe 2 little feathers on one leg). Some of their offspring have feathered legs, maybe as much as a Marans or other breed with mild feathering. Other chickens with a lot of feathers have chicks with just a few. These are mostly mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by