Fuss about fertilised eggs with 2 broodies.

The rest of the flock is free ranging now. Ininini, my oldest Dutch and boss of the flock, tried to get in the separated coop, but couldn’t . Acted very nervous and was ‘talking’ to me. I showed her the 2 broodies on the nest. I think she is not amused to be excluded. Maybe her behaviour was part of the problem.
Did he need to lay and the broodies yelled at her?

Did he need to lay and the broodies yelled at her?
Maybe, I’m not sure. But yesterday she was with the two broodies too. And she definitely doesn’t lay an egg every day.

I suspect she want to brood too. She was a good broody twice. Maybe her hormones have a part in this.
There are 2 nestboxes they can use to lay an egg. The new one I made under the roost area is already in use. There where 2 eggs in it this afternoon.

Today the broodies did perfect. Calm if left alone and angry if I look into their nests.

And I was right about Inimini, the disturber. She is a bit broody. At 2.30h she was in the nestbox sitting on two eggs. I removed the real one and initially left the fake egg. But she stayed on the nest the whole afternoon. So I got her off and removed the fake egg too now. She did roost tonight. So she is not very broody (yet).

happy to read that separate them from the flock worked! did you find out who was the pooper?😳
Not sure.
Likely my youngest chicken Janice, who might have gotten nervous of a bullish broody when she just wanted to lay an egg in the nestbox.
Or it could have been a stressed broody Black who was sitting in that nest when others wanted to join.
Or even Inimini who tempted to be the second mother on that nest.

Back
Top Bottom